Have you thought of becoming a school governor?
There are currently vacancies for governors at a range of schools across Peterborough
Annual Peterborough Governor Conference on Saturday 16 June (9.30 – 12.30)
There is an organised conference this year for all governors across the city and beyond, which is being held at Hampton Gardens school. This year we are very lucky to have a really strong format with presentations from Jonathan Lewis, Service Director Education for Cambridgeshire and Peterborough, Paul Brooker Regional HMI (Ofsted), the results of our Governor Survey across the city and a new format Q&A Panel with audience participation. In addition, there will also be a session for prospective governors with a different panel providing information and feedback.
We would really like to encourage existing and prospective governors across the city to try and attend this event, the better support we have, the more cost-effective it becomes for the LA to host these events in the future. Attendance is of course entirely free; registry information can be found at the bottom of this page.
Want to be part of something huge?
School governors are the largest group of volunteers in the country, contributing over £1 billion in unpaid services to the education budget annually, and managing school budgets amounting to £60 billion nationally each year.
Do you want to join a winning team?
Thanks to the commitment of governors and school staff working together, more than 90% of Peterborough’s children now attend a school that is Good or Outstanding, join us now and we can get to work on the other 10%
Do you want a brighter future for the children in our city?
Peterborough has a low ranking nationally for attainment, but it is widely acknowledged that children enter our schools well below national levels and make Fantastic progress.
Become a school governor and help us write the next chapter in this success story.
It can be challenging to find people who want to be school governors. Research shows that governors are often perceived as intellectual and middle class – as well as of an older generation. Many people feel that they couldn’t be a governor because they don’t think they fit this image. But what schools really need is a good mix of people from their local community, from all walks of life and backgrounds, who can bring different viewpoints, experience, skills and fresh ideas with them.
We are looking for highly motivated people who can work individually and as part of a team and who want to work in an environment where they can make a difference.
- Strategic planning
- Management of multi-million pound budgets and ensuring value for money
- Corporate responsibility for between 10 and 200 staff
- Legislative and regulatory compliance
- Implementing central government policy
- Meeting aspirational targets and deadlines
- Giving challenge and support to the rest of the team
- Work strategically
- See the bigger picture
- Drill down into the details
- Be a role-model
- Be a critical friend
- A chance to work with like-minded people from all walks of life, towards a common goal
- A chance to make a difference to children and communities in Peterborough
- Training and development opportunities across a range of subjects and skills
- Flexible working hours but includes some evening work
To sign up to the event and attend as a Governor, please click on this link https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/peterborough-governor-conference-summer-term-2018-tickets-45990240046
If you or someone you know might be interested in becoming a governor, then please share this link with them or use it yourself to register: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/become-a-governor-in-peterborough-summer-term-conference-invite-tickets-46098745589
Talk to us about becoming a school governor
Governor Services Manager,
Peterborough City Council,